We all have heard that fruits are important for our health. Here is one fruit that not only has a lot of nutritional value, but is also the lowest in calories. Yes, it is none other than Papaya, also known as Papita in Hindi. Apart from the fruit its seeds and leaves are also equally beneficial for our body. Let’s take a look at them.
- Papaya strengthens your digestive system and improves appetite. It acts as a laxative during constipation, indigestion and acidity.
- Daily consumption of the fruit keeps you away from having a headache.
- Papaya contains Vitamins A, B, C and D. It helps keeping your blood pressure in control without you having to pop those pills.
- Papaya is also rich in potassium. Its soft and easily digestible pulp along with soluble dietary fibre helps have normal bowel movements; thereby reducing constipation and piles problems. Eat a bowl of papaya for breakfast every day or as an evening snack.
- It is believed that papaya may help reduce arthritis and bone related health problems. It contains unique digesting enzymes- papain and chymopapain which help reduce inflammation.
- Papaya is full of anti-oxidants and helps in weight loss.
- The Vitamin A, C and flavonoids help keep the skin healthy and wrinkle-free. These nutrients work as antioxidants and prevent the leading cause of ageing.
- Papaya is believed to lower your cholesterol levels too since it contains powerful anti-oxidants vitamin-C, fibre and phytonutrients.
Papaya Seed Benefits
- Papaya seeds are anti-inflammatory. Due to this reason they are beneficial for people suffering from arthritis, joint diseases, swelling, pain and inflammation.
- In Ayurveda papaya seeds are used for treating kidney diseases and preventing renal failure. It works especially well for poisoning related kidney diseases.
- The fruit includes agents that stop the expansion of cancer cells and tumours. It contains isothiocyanate which works fine for colon, breast, lung, leukaemia and prostate cancer etc.
- Papaya seeds carry health benefit for the liver. The critical nutrients that papaya seeds contain assist to heal cirrhosis of the liver.
- It is believed that papaya seed extract affects sperm parameters without adversely having side effects and can be used as a natural contraceptive for men.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves
- Scientific research and case studies indicate that papaya leaf juice contains enzymes chymopapain and papain that boost platelets and also relieve Dengue symptoms. Doctors recommend taking 20 to 25 ml of this juice twice a day for a week for quick results.
- Papaya leaves have important nutrients such as vitamins A, B1, C and E, proteins, carbohydrates, calcium and phosphorus.
- The leaf juice is also provides relief from menstrual pain.
- The leaves contain higher Vitamin A and C that release antioxidants that fight against free radicals. This is beneficial to prevent your skin from skin infections, acne and wrinkles.