Turmeric is the aromatic spice widely used in India and is obtained from the roots of a plant of the ginger family. It has a distinctly earthy, slightly bitter, hot peppery flavour and mustard like aroma.
It contains potent active ingredient Curcumin (an antioxidant), the pigment that gives turmeric its yellow colour.
Turmeric has many antioxidant properties. Antioxidants fight off cancer-causing free radicals and reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause.
Turmeric helps those suffering from Arthritis, where free radicals cause the joint inflammation and damage the joints. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory combination effects clearly show how many people suffering from this find relief when they use the spice regularly.
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent. Applying it on cuts and burns speeds the healing process.
- When it is cooked with cauliflower it works as a preventive against prostate cancer.
- Adding this to food regularly will help in preventing breast cancer.
- It reduces the risks of childhood leukemia.
- It prevents and slows the progression of Alzheimer diseases by removing amyloid plaque build-up in the brain.
- It detoxifies the liver.
- It helps in inducing metabolism and reducing fat.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties are useful in treating arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It improves digestion.
- Purifies the blood
- Strengthens your ligaments.
- It is used as a skin tonic to help reduce acne. Its application helps reduce wrinkles and is best for cracked heels.
- Helps during cough and also helps those suffering from Asthma.
- It helps prevent bloating.
- It lowers cholesterol and heals stomach ulcers.
- It improves skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- It helps prevent cancer.
- It reduces side effects of chemotherapy.
- Turmeric is used as a herb in cooking.
- It is believed to control diabetes.
- It reduces cholesterol.
- It prevents liver diseases.
- Drink turmeric milk for a glowing skin. You can dip a cotton ball in turmeric milk and then apply on the affected area for 15 minutes. This helps reduce the skin redness and patches making your skin more radiant and glowing. Turmeric milk fights the free radicals that are known to damage our skin which eventually lead to loss of glow and elasticity.
- Turmeric milk gives you flawless skin without any side-effects. It makes your skin smooth and blemish-free, reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and acne spurts.
- Warm turmeric milk brings you relief from even the stubborn headaches.
- The turmeric increases the mucus flow in the system, preventing sinus congestion and sinus problems.
- As a mild phytoestrogen, this root helps promote the reproductive health in women who can’t conceive due to hormonal imbalances.
So, go on and try that golden spice, turmeric, and experience the benefits for yourself. But remember not to overdo it.